Thursday, July 2, 2009

Soil Analysis

Thanks to Fred Likkel of N3 Consulting (Lynden, WA) we received a soil test analysis from Soiltest Farm Consultants, Inc (Moses Lake, WA).

Below are the results.

(Click to zoom)


The section "Interpretation Guide" provides a good overview on the key elements.

The pH seems a bit on the acidic side. The report recommends applying 0.5 ton per acre. Well let's whittle that down to plot-scale:

An acre equals 43,560 square feet. A 1/2 ton equals 1,000 pounds. To get weight of lime per square feet we divide 1,000 by 43,560 = 0.023 pound per square foot.

A 10X10 plat has 100 square feet.

Multiply 100 times 0.023 = 2.3 pounds of lime for that plot. Double this for 10X20 plots = 4.6 pounds.

If evenly distributed, there you go, you're now a full-fledged agricultural lime expert!

I hope my math is correct. If not, I am sure (as I should) I will hear about it.

Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment