Thursday, July 2, 2009

Boys and Girls Club Visit The Garden

This noon, I had the "chance" encounter with meeting and visiting with a wonderful group of boys and girls from the B&G Club of Lynden.

I was putting one more load of compost on the "People-Pocket" circle over by the evergreen trees...and saw the group come over and visit the garden. Well, I carry my handi-dandi digital camera everywhere and got to take some pictures.

Not only that, but the leaders of the group asked if I'd give a little talk on the garden. The "ham" that I am (love the rhyme) immediately obliged.

Talked about the history of the property, the formation of the garden group, the reason for growing your own food, the connection and community it fosters. Had lots of questions. They especially were intrigued by the Peregrine JacKite flying nearby.

After the group picture (see below) I asked if they would like to take some lettuce and some Kohlrabi (aka "space alien") back for lunch. Sure enough. I offered each to take some lettuce with them. They really wanted more "space aliens".

Shared also the demonstration plot of mine as a "lasagna" garden. I found out in the course of that discourse -- Garfield loves lasagna. Umm...I didn't know that. Got to watch more TV I guess. Ha!

I hope the B&G Club can use one of our plots...would love to see the learning and experience they would gain.

(Click on picture to zoom)





Never new Collard leaves were good for flying...

Gentleness

No comments:

Post a Comment